Whether you have embarked on a diet, weight loss workout or through my eBooks, for some, losing weight is easy but for others, the journey to lose even just a couple kilograms can be frustratingly slow and miserable. Why? Let’s look at some 8 reasons you may NOT be able to lose weight.
- You are eating too little. Surprised? You shouldn’t be. If you are eating too little, your body will simply go in a sub-hibernation mode and lower its metabolism. Why? Coz by not eating enough, your body thinks you’re starving. And when you finally do eat again, it tries to retain and store as much energy (fat) as it can. So don’t skip meals and stick to a balanced diet.
- You are getting older! Question is, should you eat less or more as you age? Less. As you age, your metabolism slows down. Here your body requires less and less energy (food) to sustain its daily routine. How to combat aging? Supplements? Hell no. Keep active. The more exercise and activities you do, the easier it will be to keep the weight off. Weight training helps as well.
- Are you stressed? Having trouble at work? Going through a bad breakup? Stress is making you fat. How? 1) when stressed, your body releases hormones that make you retain more fat and 2) well, you tend to eat more. We call them stress-eaters. For me, exercise is the best way to FIGHT stress. And if work really gets in the way, maybe it is time to switch jobs or rethink your career?
- Are you snacking late a night? To be honest, we all get these late night cravings and without munching on something, it is virtually impossible to doze off. But whatever calories you eat at night, if not used will be stored as fat. We all know this so what is the solution? I call it damage control. Have snacks like carrots handy. These are super low calorie and the sensation of prolonged chewing can trick your brain into believing it is actually getting a lot of food. A glass of low fat milk is also a good idea.
You can check out other craving saving tips in my FREE “45 Craving Saving Tips” eBook
- Not enough sleep. Yup that’s true, lack of sleep can increase your weight. How? Well lack of sleep means that your body is relatively unrested and weak. To combat this combination, you need to eat more to stay energized. But the extra calories and lack of sleep lowering your metabolism, could possibly result in your weight gain.
- Weekends. I have been providing free diet analysis for all my ebook buyer and most of the time their weekday meal plans look pretty good. BUT the real killer are your weekends where you spend time with family and friends on coffee, ice cream, fast food etc. Did you know that if your weekend calorie surplus adds up to 500 per day (i.e a few donuts or a pizza), you will gain some 6-7kg per year! Not sure how I calculated that? Than you probably need my How to Lose 5kg in 5 Weeks eBook.
- You are retaining too much water. Losing or gaining fat is one thing but are you struggling with water retention? High water retention is a result of a diet high in salt (sodium) which acts like sand and traps or holds more water. How to reduce water retention? Drink more water, reduce salt, add fibers and yeah, coffee helps too.
- You have got the wrong idea. Based on my experience, this reason effects most of you who are struggling to lose weight. Wanting to vs knowing how to lose weight are two very different things. The wanting to is easy. The knowing how to is not. Example: we all know that in order to lose weight, you must consume less calories than you need BUT than ask yourself this question: 1) Do you know how many calories you need per day? and 2) Do you know how many calories you are actually consuming? Most of you probably don’t have a clue and that is one of the main reasons you are NOT losing weight.
There is always a reason as to why you are not losing weight. Although it may differ from person to person, the weight you are carrying or gaining needs to come from somewhere. Stress or hormones alone can’t make you gain weight from thin air.