Aaaaah yes…….hari raya, hari yang mulia ini. For me hari raya not only signals the start of lemang and rendang season but also the time I can resume my fitness training. After a month without much, if any, exercise…I am always very eager to hit the gym again.
So yesterday was my first day back at the gym and following are some tips I keep in mind after a month long layoff.
My 5 Post Hari Raya Workout Tips:
These tips are specifically for weight training but can be easily adapted for cardio, fitness etc.
- Preparation. I make sure to get a proper pre-workout meal and no, lemang and rendang ain’t a good preworkout meal haha. For me its typically a whey protein shake and some carbohydrates (I had wholewheat bread and some kurmas). Same applies to your post workout meal. Its a must have to kick-start your recovery.
- Start Slow. After a month layoff, your muscles telah kehilangan kekuatan (and size) so jangan lift too heavy. Pick lighter weights and slowly rebuild your strength.
- Listen to your body. If you get dizzy or extremely fatigued, stop! After a month of doing nuttin (well nuttin physical), your body dah tak biasa dengan the burden of a workout and may react negatively to it. Its the first day….so expect the unexpected.
- 60min Max. Yup, this rule applies at all times la, especially on your first day back. Including some light warmup and cooldown, I keep my training session to 60 minutes. Thats it. Probably shorter la….yesterday was about 50 minutes je.
- Half or full body workouts. After a long layoff, I tend to go for half or fullbody workouts. Why? Coz it allows each body part to get a “light” workout. Also, it makes a feel good that every part of my body is getting back in shape. Next week I’ll go back to split routines.
…your body dah tak biasa dengan the burden of a workout and may react negatively to it. Expect the unexpected…
Got open house? Jangan Lupa ajak.
Sempena hari raya…if you all ada open house, ajak la….if I have time and tak jauh, insyallah I will come.
My open house is on the 26th October @ Dataran Palma Ampang.