Wow its been a long time since i last blogged about health. That shows how busy I have been with other things.
Ok I have been getting a lot of questions about different diets. Which is the best. Whether they work etc. So lemme break down some of the diet, common questions and my opinions.
Atkins or Low Carb Diet
- What is it? Its a well-known low-carb diet created by Dr . Robert Atkins from a diet he read in the Journal of the American Medical Association and utilized to resolve his own overweight condition following medical school and graduate medical training.
- My Verdict? The diet works by eliminating excessive carbs from your diet. This in directly lowers your calorie intake. Hence you will lose weight. Also fats and proteins are more filling (mengenyangkan) opposed to carbs. The problem with the Aktins diet is that its not practical for the long term. As a result, those that complete the diet, often find themselves regaining the weight once they go back to their nasi lemak ways.
- What is it? A crash diet is a diet which is extreme in its nutritional deprivations, typically severely restricting calorie intake.
- My Verdict? Crash diets “work” by creating extreme calorie deficits (deficits of 1000 calories or more per day). So obviously one will lose weight as long as they deprive their bodies from calories. It is meant to achieve rapid weight loss and may differ from outright starvation only slightly. The problem is similar to Atkins diet where they are not meant to last for long periods of time. Most people that practice the occassional crash diets will have yo-yo weight problems.
Blood Type Diet
- What is it? Blood type diets are diets based on one’s blood type. So depending on the time when a blood type first surfaced (i.e the Ice Age where grains are scarce), an individual is supposed to eat food (meats) that suit that particular time in history. Makes sense!? In a way.
- My Verdict? If this diet has worked for you than great but if you tell me (a meat lover) that my blood type is not meant to digest meats etc I’ll probably laugh at your face. The problem in weight gain is not about a particular food! Its about everything we eat in excess – that’s meats, grains and fruits included. Don’t go and blame your blood type of your own actions 😉
- What is it? Detox diets are dietary plans regarded as having detoxifying effects. They “cleanse” your system from toxins and built-up “waste” by instilling lots of fibers that help vacumm your colon/system.
- My Verdict? Ultimately, the goal of a detox diet is not about losing weight but to help your body eliminate toxins and other waste. If so happens that you have lost a couple pounds of water weight etc, that should be a bonus. The argument that some are making is that your body’s own waste management system is sufficient to deal with toxins and waste and that there is no need for a specialized diet. I say no harm in trying.
Read about my Juvanex Detox trial here“>
High Protein Diet
- What is it? A high protein diet is often recommended by bodybuilders and nutritionists to help efforts to build muscle and lose fat. Protein intake is as much 1-1.6g of protein per pound of bodyweight.
- My Verdict? I significantly increased my protein intake when I started weight training to about 1g per pound of body weight. This provided me with enough “building blocks” to grow. Today its probably a little less than that but I still focus my diet intake around proteins. Not because proteins are more important than carbohydrates but because quality proteins are hard to come by. And while carbohydrates are everywhere, proteins need a little more intentions. As a nutritionist, I personally advice my clients to elevate proteins and reduce carbohydrates so that the intake is balanced (Read balanced diet next)
- What is it? Organic diet focuses on the consumption of organic foods that are made according to certain production standards. The use of conventional non-organic pesticides, insecticides and herbicides is greatly restricted and avoided as a last resort.
- My Verdict? An organic apple can make you gain weight just as much as a regular apple. For me, organic diets are more philosophical or a way of life. Especialy when you life in a modern city and dont get toxins from your foods, you will get them with every breath you take.
Balanced Diet (My Choice!)
- What is it? Remember the pyramid diagram? Thats exactly that a balanced diet it. It provides you a guideline or ratio or carbohydrates, protein and fats. Balanced here does not mean a 33:33:33 ratio of carbs:protein:fats. 55:30:15, 50:30:20, 60:25:15 are all examples of a balanced diet where carbohydrates come first, protein and fats are second and third respectively.
- My Verdict? Its my choice and apply it every day of my life. In my opinion, its the most practical diet to sustain for a lifetime. Whether you want to gain or lose weight, a balanced diet is the way to go.
Overall tip! You can choose any diet you like. Whats important is not which on you choose but that you 1) understand how they work, 2) sustain it over a lifetime and 3) that it allows you maintain a balance of health and fun! Hope this help…..phew… feels good to have finished a health article